Sunday, May 06, 2007

Heaven Help Me...

I was talking to someone the other day who made the following comment:
“success and money are not important to me. The most important thing in life is making sure my kids get to Heaven”
Hummm.....
This statement is a bit troublesome for me for a couple reasons. If Heaven is an important part of one’s belief system, then it would only seem to make sense that one would want his family to be together there. I get that. The problem I see is this thing called free will. I don’t think it’s our decision as to what or who our kids choose to be in life. We can try live and model certain things...we can expose them to things and should protect them from others, we can have hopes and dreams for them... I just don’t think it is healthy to attempt to have control over things we ultimately have no control over. I think I’d have to say that as a father the most important thing to me is making sure my daughter knows that whatever choices she makes in life(good or bad), that she will always be loved, accepted and welcome in our home. Maybe people should worry more about whether they themselves are going to get there. The sheep and the goats parable tells me there may be some surprises in the end, if there is such a thing as Judgement Day.
The second issue for me is the tendency Christians have to focus only on the afterlife. I’m miserable, the world is falling apart, my wife can’t stand me..OH well, it’ll all be better in Heaven. There something terribly flawed with this way of thinking....What about the here and now???
What’s the most important thing in your life? I’m curious....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.