Wednesday, May 02, 2007

In My Opinon

That NOISE !!!....relentless... penetrating...nauseating....Do you ever feel like turning “IT” off, shutting it out..telling it to f#%@ off? It enters mostly through the ears, crawls inside your head and nests among the grey matter. If allowed to stay long enough it becomes like an annoying static, lodged in those deep places, as irritating as an unreachable itch. I am speaking of opinions, of course. The “unbiased” TV journalist, the weak kneed politician, the insecure religious mouth, the fame seeking newspaper columnist, the searching blogger, my own thoughts... I know everybody has opinions, and they’re entitled to share them. I’m all for expression and dialogue and the learning that can come out of the communicating of them. It’s healthy to express oneself. It’s important for the progression of society, I truly believe that. I just get tired of them, that’s all. When the sheer number and tone of them echo off the insides of my cranium and begin to sound like the honking of a low flying flock of Canada geese, I get irritable. But I must ask myself, if they irritate me so, why do I hunger for them ??? Hummm...
When I really think about it, it is not so much the opinions themselves that bother me so much...it’s the punctuation. Huh? You see, these days we are bombarded with opinions from every angle through every medium imaginable. Why is it that they are most always followed by periods and exclamation symbols, but rarely with question marks? Are we that insecure in our opinions that we are unwilling to risk changing them by changing the punctuation to curved lines instead of straight ones?

My problem is that I listen to and consider them all. I have discovered that Truth can be found in the oddest of places so I figure all opinions must be considered. Unfortunately, a lot of them make sense to me, even when coming from opposite ends of the spectrum...How does one choose a direction to follow when there appears to be more than one reasonable path to take? How does one choose when they sometimes lead in opposite directions?

C.K. Chesterton said, “It is the mathematician, not the poet who goes mad. While the mathematician tries to build a bridge across the infinite, the poet swims in the sea.”
I, like most people, am part mathematician, and part poet (with perhaps a little bit of couch potato thrown in) Like a mathematician, I am constantly trying to fit all the sensible opinions together into a harmonious matrix. Unfortunately, my Grande Harmonious Theory of Coexistence has not been quite worked out yet. Most attempts to solve it result in a white-noise of short circuitry between the ears and a feeling of complete madness creeping in. I am then reminded of Chesterton’s quote. It is only then, after a bit of mathematical gymnastics that the poet in me accepts that life is infinitely complex, our diversity is endless, and it is all one big mystery. The problem is that swimming in the sea does not come easy to some of us. I need land to orient myself or all I see is waves and feel the undertow.

And so, this week I have chosen to exercise the couch potato in me. I am going to pull the rip cord, inflate my water wings, feel the coolness of the sea on my skin, rest my limbs, put my head back and simply float.....
Yesterday I took my new guitar out of its case, placed my nose into the sound hole, closed my eyes and slowly breathed in...I let the smell of handcrafted wood diffuse into the deepest crevasses of my brain. Sweet, earthy, pure, calming. With my eyes still closed I pulled the pick across a G-chord. The vibrations swept into my ears and replaced the static in my head. Cleansing, purifying, harmonious, mysterious...
In those brief moments I was closer to Truth and in tune with the rhythm, fragrance, and mystery of life than a lifetime of scholarly opinion could ever offer.

But, that’s just MY opinion....

3 comments:

Garth said...

Welcome back and amen. Is it not amazing how the un-expressible can be expressed with not only a single note or pluck of the strings but also the mere tone of a guitar? I've played many instruments in my life but each one had a different song contained within. I have also had the pleasure of many relationships over the years and each person brought something different out of me. I think that is a glimpse of the design within each us, the mystery we can't quite figure out...the glass we can't quite see through.

Brian the Mennonite said...

Here it is...the long awaited post.

I find that it is much easier for me to agree with people (even if their opinion is devilishly different than mine) who have more curvey punctuation (I love that image, by the way). The more people straighten their claims, the more conflict there is in the world.
I also agree with the statement that people do, however, have to have a backbone.
The problem with people like you and me, Darryl, is that we just want people to get along and get on with better things like dinner with wine, playing with our kids, shagging our wives, and sniffing our guitars...or is that sniffing our wives and shagging our...D'oh...never mind.

Great post, Darryl.
I'm looking forward to more.

Rosster said...

Garth
I think if we can get together inthe same room for long enough with a couple instruments we could find a couple of those songs...

Brian
Backbone...AH HA !!! you have given birth to the idea i have been looking for...tune in to the next post and you'll see what I mean....