Wednesday, January 12, 2005

The Princess and the Pea

Today my daughter pushed a Green Giant sweetlet pea up her nose during supper....Not only did she place the pea inside the nostral...she proceded to ram her finger in immediately after, nudging it to it's final location adjacent to her hypocampus. I suppose most parents at some time or another will experience removing small objects from their children's body cavities and for parents of multiple children this is probably commonplace and no big deal. I however, was somewhat concerned seeing that upon staring up my child's right nostril, I could see only a speck of green. My body immediately jumped into action as I headed towards the garage wondering if I had such a tool for this delicate extraction about to take place. The garage did not possess an appropriate tool. I did however, emerge from the bathroom with tweezers in my hand and a very determined look in my eye. My wife could only observe a few seconds of the struggle between a poor frightened child in a headlock and a father with a sharp utensil in his grip. I was ordered to stop...
I had treated an elderly client a few years ago who told me a story about himself. He had been experiening frontal headaches, and rhinitis for 6 months following a sinus surgery, and his doctor had all but given up hope of helping him. Then one day in the middle of lunch he sneezed unexpectedly and a cotton swab flew out of his nose into his soup.....apparently it had been mistakenly left behind after the surgery. (true story) So you could imagine my concern as a father in my present situation, imagining my daughter at the alter on her wedding day caught off guard by sudden sneeze, launching a Green Giant sweetlet out her nose onto the minister's notes..... But this horrible thought also gave me an idea. I tilted Kass' head back, plugged her left nostril and said' "OK ...BLOW !!!" Although I did not see any tangible results, my ears detected the sound of a small object ricocheting off the East window about ten feet away and onto the floor. All three of us looked at each other then laughed !!
HO HO HO GREEEN GIANT !!!!!

1 comment:

Garth said...

wow - great story! happy parenting!