Friday, June 09, 2006

Books

When I was younger the only reading I participated in involved books about hockey, filled mostly with pictures, and the Guinness Book of World Records. I can still remember the pictures of the worlds heaviest man who reminded me of a bowling ball with limbs, the world's tallest man having to crouch to get through a doorway and the largest ball of string, which to me was the greatest wonder of the world. My two least favorite subjects in school were English and History, and they were always my lowest marks. It pained me greatly to have to read through any book and most attempts I made were miserable failures. With a history devoid of literature, I find it somewhat peculiar how much I have grown to enjoy words, a well constructed sentence, the ability of a great author to paint a picture with words, and I am impressed by the way in which of a bunch of words bound into a book can change my very existence and the way I see world.

I bought my first digital audiobook this past week off iTunes, and it was bittersweet. I am excited because it is Jpod, by Douglas Coupland, one of my fav authors, but it seems somewhat strange not having the feel of paper and the smell of ink to make it real. The digital format is devoid of anything organic and seems so lifeless. This is a bit odd because I am pretty much all digital in my music purchases now, and I have not felt a sense of nostalgia for the cd, or magnetic tape. For some reason, it would seem books are different. On the flipside, I no longer have to listen to Brandon radio in the morning and can look forward to hearing Coupland on the drive to work.

On the topic of books, there is a new movie coming out today called, A Prairie Home Companion, I am looking forward to seeing. Garrison Keillor whose radio program is the basis of the movie, authored Lake Wobegon Days, one of my all time favorite books .

4 comments:

Garth said...

Okay how cool is this - I'm responding to your blog all the way from Costa Rica! I am a book-aholic, I need to turn pages rather than scroll but I admit to having a few audio books. How is the latest Coupland? I may have to pick it up on the way back on one of our airport stops. I am re-reading The Hobbit - which ironically is all about "the journey" so it kind of parallels our journey to Costa Rica.

Later!

Rosster said...

Costa Rica....Uhmmmmm, sounds nice!!!!!
So far, so good on the Coupland book. I was I had it in actual print but say la vie!!!
I'm presently reading Brendan, by Buechner and it is gooooood!

D

joyce said...

Hey! ya crazies-- send me your e-mail address so that I can pen you a proper thank you.

This is easily the MOST beautiful floral arrangement I have ever received. To what do I credit this great honour?

I wanted to photograph it today and blah blah blog it, but sexy husband had the camara at school. silly boy.

miss you, love you, thank you, Joyce and Brian.

Garth said...

So are you returning to blogland someday? I appreciated your monthly musings but I do know how busy life can get and sometimes you have to cut things to stay in balance.